Search This Blog

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Forced To Anchor To Save Fuel. We Are Safe And Sound With 152 Miles To Greenland.

Ralph via SAT phone (transcribed)
First we want to make it very clear that we are safe and sound. We are also 152 miles off the coast of Greenland. At 3 AM our time or 1 AM EST this morning we picked up anchor and started moving forward about 90 miles before the wind/seas picked back up again. It is still against us, but not really bad, we could easily go on but we are very concerned about our fuel consumption and because of that we are dropping the sea anchor and are going to wait for calmer seas, or the wind at our back, otherwise we can sit for a couple of days if we have to.
The weather is supposed to change tonight, I don’t know if it will or not but it is supposed to. The last weather report wasn’t very accurate. When we left Cartwright Labrador we had 310 gallons of fuel on board which is more than enough to go 900 miles under normal conditions. However we are only going 600 miles and the wind and waves were supposed to be out of SE at 3-4 feet. Unfortunately, instead we had waves about 5-9 feet, a little bigger than that in some cases and strong winds out of due E, right in our faces the whole time which ate our fuel, so now we are very conscious of the fuel left and are waiting for the right weather to burn it. We have our sea anchor out to minimize our drift and we are going from there.
We are going to make arrangements for a fuel drop from a couple of different locations. If you have an idea and want to contact Bruce, we would like to hear from you. Bruce’s # is 408-829-4193.
Again I want to make it real clear we are safe and sound and secure.
Thank you so much.
Have a great wonderful day and God Bless you.
Bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Brown Brothers!! Good to know you are both well--hang in there! I am wearing my shirt with pride! Stay Safe, Peace & Prayers,
    ~S&T~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete